What is an aluminum backing or Alumibond?May 12, 2015
Aluminum backing bonds or tape (aka AlumiBond) is generally halogen-free and friendly to the welder. It may be used for high temperature applications and avoids purging. Aluminum tape may be used on a variety of surface materials for different applications such as air conditioning, ducting, sealing, and insulating. AlumiBond will remain flexible to temperatures as low as -70° F. For example, a roof will never be thermally shocked or leak due to AlumiBond failure.
The AlumiBond aluminum backing adheres to a variety of materials, such as:
• carbon steel, aluminum, and galvanized steel,
• aluminum foil,
• gypsum board and wood,
• polyethylene and polypropylene,
• brick, concrete, and masonry,
• thermoplastics, and
• single-ply roofing.
The aluminum backed tape seals to itself so it can be cut and folded around an object to create moisture- and air-tight seals. The AlumiBond tape is designed and intended to be used on:
• trailer/RV roofs and sides,
• metal buildings,
• drain pans and drain pipes,
• boats and canoes, and
• sur¬faces as a protective coating, where abrasion and corrosion resistance is required.
Surface Prep and Application
Apply AlumiBond to clean dry surfaces having an ambient temperature of 150° F to -20° F. Surfaces must be clean, dry, and all dust, dirt, or other foreign particles including oil, grease, salt etc. A non-residue cleaner, such as acetone or lacquer thinner, should be used to clean the surface.
To install AlumiBond, gradually remove the silicone release liner to prevent compromising the adhesive prior to applications. Install the AlumiBond over the repair area. Apply pressure (by hand or roller) to achieve bonding. Bonded surfaces exposed to ambient temperatures of 40° F to -20° F should be finally treated with (EternaPrime) sealant.
EternaBond® AlumiBond Brand
EternaBond® AlumiBond is an extremely flexible and durable, 50mm wide aluminum-backed tape designed to hold back pressure in units such as holding and gravity tanks. EternaBond® AlumiBond’s advanced Mi¬croSealant™ additionally creates a hard surface. It works best for repairing anything that has been cut or needs rivets or seams sealed or resealed, such as steel and aluminum roofs, storage tanks, truck trailers, etc.
The composition of EternaBond® AlumiBond is a 100% synthetic resins solids formulation of thermoplastics and non-butyl, non-curing rubber, with a built-in primer. This compound is an EternaBond advanced MicroSeal¬ant™ Technology. This compound base is bonded to a 4-mil aluminum metal backing. There is an additional adhesive coating protected by a sili¬cone release liner, which is intended to be removed prior to application.
Typically, the AlumiBond product is:
• a 4-mil thick aluminum facing,
• does not require UV protection,
• may be used on walls, floors, roofs, gravity tanks, troughs, etc.
• may be painted to match the repaired surface,
• is self-sealing and moisture tight (may be cut and folded around an object),
• creates moisture and air barriers,
• comes in a variety of sizes and grades, and
• it exhibits the best results when the product is applied to a clean, dry surface, at temps above 32°F (0°C).
Related Posts via Categories
- Butyl Rods Available at Foam Sealant: The Key to Long-Lasting AC Installations
- EternaBond CopperFlash: Versatile Applications in Roofing Systems
- NORBOND V1500 Mirror Mount Tape for Damage-Free Mirror Installation
- EternaBond AlumiBond: Extending the Lifespan of Automotive Components
- Ensure Roof Durability with Eaves Filler Strips from Foam Sealant
- EternaBond WindowSeal MicroSealant: Your Ultimate Solution for Leaks and Drafts
- Ensure Long-lasting Protection for Your Building Roof with EternaBondRoofSeal
- Norseal Tapes and Films: Reliable Solutions for Electrical Applications
- The Right Window Sealing Materials from Foam Sealant
- Primary Features and Applications of Norbond V1500 Mirror Mount Tape